Ardhanaareshwara

Ardhanaareshwara

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Kalyan – A small spiritual promise!

Time flowed past me and I onlooked. Life was on collateral as time ironed a few incongruities.

Rewind……

I was then a seven year old, atmost eight. I unveiled the small veil that hid the white letters of ‘Kalyan’, my family’s house at Ernakulam. The house warming back then!

The house was no mere project. It had a lot of earthwork and foundation issues for it was made for full five storeys. It had the blessings of engineers at the Harbour Engineering Dept. Ours would not be a small house.

Kalyan means a drive for spiritual progress and enlightenment, said my father when I once quizzed him non-stop ‘Why kalyan?’. Like how that quest is bedrocked in foundations deep, our humble house too. It is much like the Dana building in the FountainHead, a building that will do its purpose. Speaks a lot about the man behind! As simple, as austere and as ‘spacious’ ! No frills, no sops! And I liked it.

Canfin Homes had a heyday; its manager had a few feasts. A few feasts later the dream was re-born. The first floor! A few years had passed. Time had flowed past me as I onlooked. Life had been on collateral as time was ironing out a few incongruities.

I lost my old man not his dreams.
I lost my father but not his words.
I lost his company in prayer but not his hymns and his prayers.
I lost his ailments but not their scars.
I lost him. I lost him, not. [Don’t mind the touch of Douglas’ Adams in all this]

Tomorrow I pack off to the queen of the Arabian. The house warming, now!!
Between there is still a promise, this time one I will keep.

A small one! A spiritual one!

The one that I would love to as a margi!

Kalyan- the spiritual thrust to merge in Him in man’s last breath.

So be it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CanFin....lol.....guess we all lay out feasts for them lenders......nice work.

Anonymous said...

good,my dear keep up your promises to your father.
besides, study is more important so stick on to that 1st.then only you can fulfill your fathers dream of 5 storeyed building of KALYAN.